Shop Local in Des Moines, IA
Posted at 6:46 pm on November 20, 2020
This year has no doubt taken its toll on our small businesses. They need our support this holiday season, so I challenge you to consider shopping 100% local for all your holiday gifts. I promise you there are enough local shops to meet all your gifting needs this year! Here are a few ideas to help!
- Cooking with Allesandra: I’m all about gifting experiences and Allesandra makes all your cooking dreams come true. She has a passion for teaching others how to cook and you will fall in love with her Italian culinary skills. She does offer small private classes, but you can also have have cooking classes “to-go”. All the ingredients are delivered so you and your loved ones so you can just hop on a zoom and drink wine and cook in the comfort of your own home.
- Bings: This Valley Junction shop is filled with quirky and unique gifts unlike anywhere I’ve seen in Des Moines. There is something for everyone. Cat lover in the family? Opinionated Uncle? Wine lover? Yogi? There is literally a section for everyone.
- Eden: This store is basically heaven in the East Village. I could spend hours looking at all the products, smelling all the gorgeous scents and trying different lotions. From candles to bath bubbles to luxury lotions, you honestly can’t go wrong with any gift from here. And don’t forget about the little ones. They have the cutest selection of baby books, baby skincare and my favorite – Blabla dolls. (My son still sleeps with his after having it for seven years!)
- Amanda Reynal Interiors: Amanda’s shop is a hidden gem that truly will not disappoint. Every corner is filled with something fun and colorful and unexpected. There is no shortage of beautiful things to fall in love with here including gorgeous hand-picked silk scarves from Morocco to handmade headbands, unique jewelry, travel and style books and so much more.
- Leona Ruby: There is no chance that what you pick from this shop won’t be loved by the recipient. Sparkly, lovely and oh so pretty.
- Des Moines Mercantile: So much more than a General Store. Find handmade soaps, candles, artwork from local artists, tea towels and the absolute cutest selection of handmade dolls. Located in the Highland Park neighborhood, you will be given the most inviting welcome from owner Mallory when entering this shop.
- The Cheese Shop: Could you possibly go wrong with a cheese club subscription?! I mean, sign me up right now! The talented cheese mongers will select seasonal cheeses complete with food pairing recommendations and everything you need to know about cheese. Available for local pick up or they deliver!
- Rod & Rivet: Have a fisherman/woman in your life? Why not introduce them to Rod & Rivet. They are fly fishing experts and the perfect local to shop to get all your gear or even book a trip. Owners Kevin and Laura love nothing more than introducing newbies to the sport so even if it’s not a sport you’ve considered in the past…now feels like the perfect time to learn how. They also have a great selection of clothing for on and off the water!