Current Design Trends
Posted at 10:51 am on June 25, 2018
Design trends in your home can be a fickle thing. What’s in one month, can quickly be out the next. But I do know that there are some tried and true improvements and updates that are a win-win, whether you are just looking to spruce up your living space OR you want to make your home a catch for potential buyers. So, if you are looking to renovate a room or even if you are building a new home – below is my list of current design trends that you should definitely know about.
- White kitchens are still very much on trend. Bonus if they have soft-close drawers and doors! Check out this article from ApartmentTherapy on some fabulous white kitchens.
- New for 2018, I’m seeing more and more buyers fall in love with gold or brass fixtures. This is super on-trend right now and paired with white farm house sinks and gold faucets, it makes a kitchen pop. See some beautiful examples on my Pinterest board.
- White walls. Gone are the 50 shades of gray and buyers are loving all white walls. But if you’re painting your home white, be cautious of white as it can easily pull green or blue undertones. (Kind of like finding the perfect gray which I always recommend Sherwin Williams Repose Gray or Agreeable Gray to guarantee you won’t pull in blues or purples.) I recommend Sherwin Williams Pure White or Alabaster. Both of these will help to keep it looking crisp and clean rather than dull.
- Believe it or not…laminates are also big right now. The laminate or luxury vinyl industries have really stepped up their game with the products they offer. They are aesthetically appealing and also incredibly resilient for dogs, water, and traffic. This is great for families with young kids and pets.
- Front elevations on new construction homes are a big topic this year. Buyer’s don’t want cookie cutter homes. They like different front elevations: think front porches, gables, hip roofs, dormers. Anything to switch up a floor plan and make it look different.